Director, Market Development, Energicity Corp
Energicity is leading developer of solar and hybrid microgrid utilities in Africa, delivering affordable, reliable, scalable electricity to rural off grid communities, who have never had electricity before. Through leveraging strategic use of local content and right sized engineering, Energicity, and its subsidiaries Power Leone and Weziza Benin have best in class status among the energy access industry.
Based on our core capabilities, Energicity is currently deploying minigrid utilities in concessions in Sierra Leone and Benin to serve 100,000 people. Further, the company is developing new pipeline to develop minigrids to serve another 100,000 people in West Africa in 2022 and 2023. Beyond just providing light, Energicity’s electrification services enable rural off grid communities
- better health care outcomes with modern health care equipment, vaccines and light for nighttime procedures
- dramatic improvements in test scores for children in school, and
- significant increases wealth and opportunity for rural entrepreneurs and smallholder farmers.
The Director of Market Development position will be part of the core management team and accountable for opening up the map for the Energicity solution, maintaining and deepening government relations and enabling expansion of existing concessions and growing opportunities in new markets in Africa. A successful candidate will have a demonstrated track record in building relationships that deliver strategic results for the company and of being a strategic partner in management and to critical stakeholders.
The position for the near term (through 2022) would be located in Freetown, Sierra Leone or Cotonou, Benin; however as the company expands there are opportunities to relocate to other countries in which we have operations. Candidates with up to 25-50% virtual work with a home base out of another West African country could be considered.
Qualified candidates please send your credentials and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by August 31, 2021.
The role’s responsibilities include:
- Government and stakeholder relations: A key component of the role includes building relations with the ecosystem of government partners and strategic non-governmental partners and aligning Energicity Corp’s strategic fit with their energy access objectives. The activities and outcomes include deep relationships with stakeholders, influencing stakeholder energy access strategies, negotiating policy and required government approvals are enabled on a timely basis.
- Market Selection and Entry Strategy: Identify market opportunities, market contexts, and trends to determine high potential markets for product market fit. Lead early-stage conversations with governments and other stakeholders to understand Energicity. Determine priority markets for entry and strategy for entering in partnership with rest of Energicity leadership team.
- Market Entry and expansion: Project managing our entry as well as project managing strategic outcomes with governmental stakeholders and licensing bodies to ensure rapid ramp up in new countries. Collaborate with customer operations and engineering to define and license pipeline of new communities for expansion in existing countries. Partner with finance and other management for successful tariff negotiations.
- Marketing: Lead responses to requests for proposals ensuring on time and smooth coordination across Energicity team for competitive responses to RFPs. Define strategy for ensuring Energicity story and capabilities for serving African energy needs and impact is widely known, understood and included in policy development. One of the goals of the work is to achieve and enhance visibility of Energicity Corp wins on a national, regional and international level.
- Stakeholder reporting: Coordinate impact and operational reporting for government regulators and other stakeholders
- Team management: Build multilingual team of capable deputies to support market development opportunities in each country of operations.
- Champion Energicity’s Anti-Corruption principles: Energicity is committed to anti-corruption best practices. The person in this role will be a visible champion of these practices and have unimpeachable integrity to these principles. No deviation from these principles will be tolerated and will result in immediate termination and, if applicable, prosecution.
Skills and Experiences
- 7- 10 year + track record of success in government relations or business development with direct experience shaping energy related policies at all levels of government including a Ministerial level
- Experience leading a successful team where team members experience significant personal and professional growth under candidate’s leadership
- Leading candidates will have experience working and delivering results with stakeholders across at least 2 countries beyond their own native country
- Have experience and want to continue the experience of working in a high passion, high-powered results-driven environment.
- English a must, bilingual (English + French) is strongly preferred
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent from leading school, Master’s degree a plus
- Personal characteristics for best candidates will include strategic thinking, perseverance, and results-orientation, “can do – get done” attitude, and personal charisma.