Job Title: Director of Technical Operations
Can you imagine what life would be like without reliable access to electricity? Imagine studying by kerosene lamp, cooking on an open fire, not being able to charge your cell phone. Imagine spending 40% of your salary on electricity substitutes.
Lack of access to energy causes millions of deaths per year, stymies economic expansion, promotes carbon-generating substitutes, and encourages the growth of mega cities as people leave rural communities to access basic services.
Energicity Corp is a US-based corporation committed to ending energy poverty in Africa to improve daily lives, promote economic growth, and reduce carbon footprint.
Our innovative business model merges renewable power and solar mini-grid infrastructure with a proprietary software platform combining big data, smart metering, behavioral science, and mobile payments to provide affordable, sustainable, scalable power to off-grid rural regions.
We operate in Sierra Leone as Power Leone where we operate 21 solar minigrids with a growing pipeline of projects and are starting operations in Benin where we have a pipeline of 20 communities. We are continually looking to expand our footprint within West Africa.
We’re a 50-person team backed by top-tier investors based in Washington DC, Freetown, Sierra Leone and Cotonou, Benin. This is a unique opportunity to participate in a startup that has a service that is so essential to people’s basic needs.
We are looking for a Director of Technical Operations who will lead our Maintenance and Field Metering organizations across our growing footprint to delivery safe, reliable, affordable electricity to our customers. The Director of Technical Operations will be tasked with ensuring that the our operations are able to scale cost effectively to meet increasing customer demand to ensure our customers can thrive.
- You will be responsible for the safe and reliable operations of our solar minigrids to deliver high quality electricity to our customers.
- You will build build the Tech ops organization including, multi- national maintenance and metering operations organizations
- Implement maintenance procedures and processes across maintenance and metering organization to standardize maintenance procedures and tailor procedures, as necessary.
- Meet rigorous KPIs for system uptime and performance, revenue, and customer satisfaction and implement continuous improvement across the Technical Operations to achieve the target KPIs and customer satisfaction.
- You will manage Field Metering Operation teams across countries to ensure reliable metering and monitoring services
- Manage the Field metering teams to ensure reliable meter services from Energicity’s Meters which have been developed in-house and assembled in country.
- Provide feedback to Meter Development team for continual improvement on meter reliability and features for better customer service.
- Manage the budget of a growing technical operations and ensuring profitability of the operations organization
- Manage monthly budgets and optimize field staff and work to create a team that can deliver best in class service cost effectively
- Plan for PV system expansion to ensure systems meet growing customer demand and working with management and Customer Operations teams to make investment decisions
- Development of tools to improve monitoring and ticketing to scale the business across a growing footprint.
What We Are Looking For
- Bachelor’s of Science and Engineering, a Masters Degree in Operations, Business or Engineering a plus.
- 5+ years in operations with at least 2 years of managing maintenance or technical operations within an organization.
- Someone with strong organizational skills who can set, maintain, and improve standards
- Someone who is able to set plans, and clearly communicate them.
- Must have strong ability in data analysis
- Must have high capability in excel
- Ability to use data analysis tool like Python or Matlab a plus
- A team player that will work tirelessly to develop their teammates.
- Experience in lean, agile, or continuous improvement a plus.
- Bi-lingual in English and French strongly preferred, English speaker with willingness to learn French will be considered.
How to apply
Send your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Honor: We honor the communities in which we work. We respect our clients, we respect our stakeholders. We recognize that we are working across multiple cultures and that we try to understand each other’s perspective – knowing that it is our differences that make us the best. We may not always agree with each other, our customers, our stakeholders, but at the core of every interaction must be respected. There is no excuse forever violating this.
- Teamwork: we value our team and we value each other. We have each other’s back. We communicate when something is working well and on track, we over-communicate when something is not working well or on track.
- Learning: We strive to always be learning as an organization and as individuals. We are not afraid to fail. We are afraid not to learn.
- Excellence: We take responsibility for making things great; we also take responsibility and fix things immediately with anyone who is impacted if anything is less than great.