Engineering Manager, Energicity
Energicity currently has operations in Sierra Leone- where it won a highly competitive government tender to provide energy services to up to 100,0000 people, and Ghana where it has been in operations since 2015. Energicity’s value proposition to our rural customer, living in a community not connected to the grid – is to provide affordable, reliable electricity that is powerful enough to power any household or commercial need.
Energicity is currently hiring a Maintenance Manager based in Freetown, Sierra Leone. Candidates -especially those who like to work with a great and fun group of people –please send your CV and cover letter to email@example.com with Energicity Engineering Manager as the subject.
Energicity SL is seeking an experienced professional to oversee engineering operations and project management across Sierra Leone to ensure projects are delivered on time within budget and help scale operations to connect more customers in a scalable fashion.
The engineering manager should have a good understanding of engineering design specifically in solar projects and project management. We are looking for someone to manage the design and material delivery for projects, development and incorporation of new products or suppliers into our value chain and lead continuous improvement in the quality and cost effectiveness of projects. The role will be based in Freetown, Sierra Leone.
Successful fulfillment of the role will require building and implementing robust engineering operations and procedures.
Key functions that will this professional will lead:
- Engineering: The Engineering Manager will complete project documentation from design documents to bill of materials to documenting close out of projects.
- Project Management and logistics: The professional in this role will involve project management functions for our solar microgrid deployments, including: scheduling, developing tools to enable the company to meet its pre and post construction milestones, measure results and facilitate a continuous improvement of our operational capabilities
- Cost Estimation and Budgeting: The engineering manager will conduct cost estimates for projects and track budgets during construction and closeout.
- Procurement: This role will oversee physical inventory management and ensuring that on-time delivery of materials to site as well as tracking material used during construction to ensure items consumed match project design and estimates. Generating and refining product specifications will also be very important.
- Quality: The engineering manager will ensure design and quality requirements for materials ordered as well as qualifying vendors and materials and ensuring incoming materials meet necessary requirements. They will also oversee incorporation of new products into our projects both those purchased from vendors and those developed by our internal engineering and construction teams.
- Overseeing the design, creating bill of materials, cost estimates, and construction budgets for all projects
- Meeting all milestones for all projects before construction start and providing a notice to proceed
- Conduct initial site visits and scoping of new villages for PV system planning and grid layout and design.
- Works with the construction managers to support them on project scheduling and implementation such as creating schedules, maintaining deadlines, resource planning, and communicating issues as they arise
- Implementation of better project management tools and processes to ensure process improvement and identify areas where improvements can be made
- Management of close-out of projects ensuring that all documentation is complete and management of BOMs and inventory and requirements for accounting are met and completed by the team
- Train new engineers in design, estimating, and creating bill of materials for projects
Based on successful delivery of these requirements the person in the role has significant room to grow rapidly within Black Star Energy and the parent Energicity Corp.
The ideal candidate for this role:
- Ability to draft in Autocad or other equivalent CAD software
- Familiarity with excel and/or programming for modeling
- Expertise in either structural engineering with minimum basic understanding of major power engineering concepts or expertise in electrical engineering with a basic understanding of mechanics
- Bachelors of Science in Engineering in Mechanical, Civil, or Electrical Engineering or equivalent
- 2+ years of design and engineering experiences of photovoltaics (PV) systems preferred
- Hands on work with electrical or mechanical construction a plus
- Has 3+ years of relevant operations or project construction management in a high performing organization
- Is excited about working in a fast paced, dynamic, entrepreneurial company
- Has demonstrated ability to structure their own work and perform in environments that require high levels of independence and personal accountability
- Experience in establishing processes and conducting continuous improvements of processes using statistical metrics
- Effective written and oral communications with a wide variety of people including team members, stakeholders, and customers
- Detail oriented