Market Development Manager
The community manager of Black Star Energy plays an integral role in Black Star Energy’s growth and ability to serve customers in Ghana and beyond. Black Star Energy – as you know – is a company that is committed to ending energy poverty throughout the world by providing sustainable, affordable, scalable electricity so that families and communities thrive.
If you are a qualified applicant, please send your CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org before 7 February 2018
Job duties: The ultimate goal of this role is to build a pipeline of projects that have all of the required elements ready for development.
Liaison to government leaders at the Regional and District level
- Meet with government stakeholders to inform them of BSE opportunity and services, including Members of Parliament, District Chief Executives, Planning officers, Omanhene, Regional officers.
- Make formal presentations to District Assemblies to inform them of our services
- Engage BSE leadership to support key meetings with government leaders
- Innovate on ways to engage government leaders in the opportunity of Black Star Energy for their communities
Build a robust pipeline of communities for MOU signing and Notice to Proceed
- Meet with communities and community leaders across Ghana to inform them of the Black Star Energy opportunity
- Educate consumers in rural communities on how to use BSE services in both community meeting settings and also individual conversations with stakeholders
- Develop materials and scripts for customer recruitment
- Coordinate with BSE leadership and local Odikro on signing MOU
- Identify and coordinate necessary stakeholders – including Odikro, Paramount chief and others – to sign legal lease for site plans
- Develop and communicate project plan for meeting pipeline goals for MOU and to Notice to Proceed
- Coordinate internal stakeholders to ensure that projects are ready for construction including engineering, community managers, and leasing all being on track
Customer Marketing and External marketing
- Develop marketing materials to explain BSE services to communities prior to acceptance/ MOU.
- Draft original marketing materials for stakeholders and keep them updated including company profiles, power point presentations, and proposals
- Curate Black Star Energy social media presence on Facebook and Instagram
- Work with management on identifying and implementing opportunities to tell the Black Star Energy story including local press
The ideal candidate for this role:
Has 2-5 years of relevant experience in community development, community organizing, marketing, and/or project management roles Also has undergraduate degree from leading universities with 3-8 years work experience. Preferred degrees include community development and business management degrees.
Has track record of independently delivering results. Organized and the ability to organize other people outside of direct reporting relationships to deliver on objectives
Has strong writing abilities and can craft an argument in prose, powerpoint, pictures.
Is comfortable working in rural communities (and effective at building trust with them) speaking to large groups and credible leading meetings with senior government officials and engaging with traditional leaders.
Has experience securing land leases with paramount chiefs.
Is excited about working in a fast paced, dynamic, entrepreneurial company with a collaborative, demanding environment
Has demonstrated ability to structure their own work and perform in environments that require high levels of independence and personal accountability.
The core values of our company are:
Excellence – Everything we do must be of the highest quality from building and maintaining solar systems, to our software systems, to our documentation. We double and triple check our own work and each other’s work. We take responsibility for making things great; we also take responsibility and fix things immediately with anyone who is impacted if anything is less than great.
Learning – we strive to always be learning as an organization and as individuals. We are solution oriented in all things. If there’s a problem, we’re always looking at ways to fix it. If there’s not a problem, we’re always looking for ways to innovate to be the best we can be. We set up experiments and tests to try to do things better, we learn when things work, we learn when things don’t. We aren’t afraid to fail, we ARE afraid not to learn.
Teamwork – we value our team and we value each other. We have each other’s back. We communicate when something is working well and on track, we over communicate when something is not working well or on track. We trust each other and trust that we are all working for the good of the company – and if something isn’t working the way we think it should, the course of action is to communicate, to be solution oriented, and to have each other’s back.
Honor – just as we honor each other, we honor the communities in which we work. We respect our clients, we respect our stake holders. We recognize that we are working across multiple cultures and that we try to understand each other’s perspective – knowing that it is our differences that make us the best. We may not always agree with each other, our customers, our stake holders, but at the core of every interaction must be respect. There is no excuse for ever violating this.