Job Title: Marketing and Communications Director (Internship)
Can you imagine what life would be like without reliable access to electricity? Imagine studying by kerosene lamp, cooking on an open fire, not being able to charge your cell phone. Imagine spending 40% of your salary on electricity substitutes.
Lack of access to energy causes millions of deaths per year, stymies economic expansion, promotes carbon-generating substitutes, and encourages the growth of mega cities as people leave rural communities to access basic services.
Energicity Corp is a US-based corporation committed to ending energy poverty in Africa to improve daily lives, promote economic growth, and reduce carbon footprint.
Our innovative business model merges renewable power and solar mini-grid infrastructure with a proprietary software platform combining big data, smart metering, behavioral science, and mobile payments to provide affordable, sustainable, scalable power to off-grid rural regions.
We operate in Ghana as Black Star Energy Ltd where we run 15 projects serving communities of 6000 people. In Sierra Leone we won a highly competitive government tender to provide energy services to up to 100,0000 people. Our next markets are Benin and Nigeria.
We’re a 50-person team backed by top-tier investors based in Washington DC, Freetown, Sierra Leone and Cotonou, Benin. This is a unique opportunity to participate in a startup that has a service that is so essential to people’s basic needs.
You’ll work directly with the CEO who will mentor you in entrepreneurship, the sustainable energy industry, and doing business in Africa.
The role is 5- 10 hours per week for the spring semester unpaid internship for someone who wants to be part of one of the most transformative businesses around referred to Africa’s Utility of the Future in TechCrunch. The expectation is that the role will continue through the spring semester to May 2020.
What You’ll Do
- Create and execute a content marking strategy encompassing the website, blog, and social media (LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram).
- Continue to tell our story through website updates on word press: drafting press releases and other content updates
- Research and advise on extending content marketing strategy to additional platforms such as email, video, etc.
- Use both your storytelling skills and your analytic skills to create marketing collateral for key target markets including coordinating web design overhaul presentation design, one-pagers, quote sheets
- Create and help execute a thought-leadership strategy for CEO encompassing thought-leadership platforms (Forbes, Medium), media pitches, white papers, and speeches (TEDTalks, sustainable energy conventions).
- Research and prepare entries for competitions highlighting leadership in energy, energy access
- Monitor competitive landscape and industry developments
What You’ll Need
- Undergraduate or MBA student status with a course of study focused on marketing, communications, business, or a related discipline.
- Desire to learn about marketing, renewable and sustainable energy, and entrepreneurship.
- Experience in using social media platforms, including LinkedIn, Facebook, and Twitter.
- Strong organizational skills, with a great work ethic and proactive mindset.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills.
- Aptitude for research and learning.
- Web design skills a plus…
- French a plus too!
- Your own equipment: computer, phone, Microsoft Office Suite
How to apply
Send your cover letter and resume to email@example.com
- Honor: We honor the communities in which we work. We respect our clients, we respect our stakeholders. We recognize that we are working across multiple cultures and that we try to understand each other’s perspective – knowing that it is our differences that make us the best. We may not always agree with each other, our customers, our stakeholders, but at the core of every interaction must be respected. There is no excuse forever violating this.
- Teamwork: we value our team and we value each other. We have each other’s back. We communicate when something is working well and on track, we over-communicate when something is not working well or on track.
- Learning: We strive to always be learning as an organization and as individuals. We are not afraid to fail. We are afraid not to learn.
- Excellence: We take responsibility for making things great; we also take responsibility and fix things immediately with anyone who is impacted if anything is less than great.