Black Star Energy is looking for a driven engineer ready to apply their skills to design, build, and deploy our unique metering system within our solar microgrids, based in Black Star Energy’s Kumasi office.
The Metering Engineer role of Black Star Energy plays an integral role in Black Star Energy’s smart metering development and deployment for Black Star Energy’s minigrids ensuring that company is able deliver the sustainable, affordable, reliable service to our customers that the we are committed to.
If you are a qualified applicant, please send your CV and cover letter to email@example.com before 30 April 2018.
Black Star Energy metering platform remotely measures our customer’s energy usage, relays that information to our metering platform. The metering platform charges our customers based on their energy usage and rates. Our customers pay on a pre-paid basis, and the smart metering platform automatically reconnects and connects our customers based on their account status. The metering platform plays a vital role in our operations, and this role will be key in the development, deployment, and maintenance of our metering platform across all our projects.
- Metering Engineer: Responsible for support of existing deployments of BSE metering systems
- Maintain existing metering system including fixing communication issues, repairing and replacing meters, and determining causes of failures in the field.
- Update existing meters software and hardware as new developments are made
- Monitor existing metering systems for issues and check systems physically periodically
- Metering systems performing with increased uptime and communications
- Program meters and deploy central metering system in new communities
- Oversee construction of new meters and program meters for deployment
- Program the onsite server and test with meters for deployment
- Deploy meters in field and commission on project ensuring communications with metering platform
- Ability to quickly deploy metering systems with minimal support needed of metering system and communication after deployment in field
- Support new meter development
- Update programming of meters as necessary and added functionality is developed
- Develop and build new meter builds as we update suppliers and develop new physical requirements
- Quality test new developments with meters and metering platform
- Update programming of onsite server as necessary and aid in development of onsite server platform
- Support development of online platform through testing, setting requirements, and potentially programming of platform
- Continuous improvement in metering platform robustness and funcationality
- Degree in Computer Science Engineering or Electrical Engineering preferred
- Familiarity with programming and working with Arduino and microcontrollers
- Expertise in Java and node.js preferred
- Basic understanding of electrical engineering concepts required
- Familiarity with photovoltaics (PV) systems a plus
- Hands on work with microcontrollers, sensing, and wireless communications a plus
The core values of our company are:
Excellence – Everything we do must be of the highest quality from building and maintaining solar systems, to our software systems, to our documentation. We double and triple check our own work and each other’s work. We take responsibility for making things great; we also take responsibility and fix things immediately with anyone who is impacted if anything is less than great.
Learning – we strive to always be learning as an organization and as individuals. We are solution oriented in all things. If there’s a problem, we’re always looking at ways to fix it. If there’s not a problem, we’re always looking for ways to innovate to be the best we can be. We set up experiments and tests to try to do things better, we learn when things work, we learn when things don’t. We aren’t afraid to fail, we ARE afraid not to learn.
Teamwork – we value our team and we value each other. We have each other’s back. We communicate when something is working well and on track, we over communicate when something is not working well or on track. We trust each other and trust that we are all working for the good of the company – and if something isn’t working the way we think it should, the course of action is to communicate, to be solution oriented, and to have each other’s back.
Honor – just as we honor each other, we honor the communities in which we work. We respect our clients, we respect our stake holders. We recognize that we are working across multiple cultures and that we try to understand each other’s perspective – knowing that it is our differences that make us the best. We may not always agree with each other, our customers, our stake holders, but at the core of every interaction must be respect.