Energicity is looking for a VP of Finance to be a core part of our leadership team as we grow to meet this market opportunity and impact the world.
Who you are:
The Energicity Vice President, Finance will be a versatile leader and manager focused on making a company-wide contribution. The Vice President, Finance will have the ability to operate strategically with the senior team, providing financial and operational input to help make critical choices as our company evolves. The VP, Finance will structure and implement the tools and processes needed to prepare timely, informative and accurate financial reports and financial projections. The VP Finance should have experience operating in a startup environment. The VP Finance should have experience successfully leading fundraising initiatives and working closely with our CEO and investors.
What you’ll do:
Financing leadership: As VP, Finance, you’ll play a lead role in developing and executing our funding strategies. Someone effective in this role will be a strategic thinker, a financial innovator, and adept in structuring and closing deals.
- Define the parent and subsidiary capital stack strategy at the parent (US) and international subsidiary levels
- Actively participate in the creation of the company’s business plans
- Work with investors and industry stakeholders to develop and negotiate appropriate debt financing instruments in the nascent minigrid market including special purpose vehicles, asset securitizations, tax driven vehicles and financial opportunities driven by carbon credits and other policy vehicles
- Work closely with the CEO on investor pitch and presentations and fundraising activities
Financial Planning and Control: As VP, Finance, you’ll be the driver of our financial controls ensuring that our accounting and other controls enables the needed measurement and reporting for successful implementation of our business. To be effective in this role, you will be detail oriented, able to get your hands dirty in accounting , and a proactive manager of internal and external support teams.
- Manage the preparation of financial statements, financial reports, special analyses and information reports
- Develop finance accounting and auditing procedures and internal control safeguards (particularly inventory controls) across multiple countries
- Define and manage budgets and analyze/ forecast cashflow
- Manage payroll across parent and subsidiaries
- Lead global procurement teams to ensure accurate projections of equipment needs, lowest cost purchasing and time receipt of equipment at our main office(s)
- Ensure taxes are filed and paid in all relevant jurisdictions
- Participate in ensuring the company can provide accurate and timely reporting for purposes of grant compliance
Business Analysis: The VP, Finance will develop financial analysis to support strategic decision making in the business. To be effective in this role, the VP, Finance will be data-driven, and an effective communicator and change agent.
- Work with leadership team on pricing strategies and project profitablity models ensure company exceeds financial targets.
- Build business model and financial modeling for new products and new market to drive corporate strategic decisions
- Develop strategies for managing our currency risk portfolio including local currency debt and single currency and basket hedging strategies.
- Identify critical business metrics, implement reporting processes, and work with operations teams to leverage the analysis for continued improvements in business results.
Administration: The VP of Finance will provide additional structure to support rapidly growing, start-up operations. To be effective in this part of the role, the VP, Finance will be a team player – knowing that in a start up you sometimes “gotta do what you gotta do”, and great at identifying what needs to be done to put our business on the next level.
- Oversee payroll and benefits.
- Manage investor, banking and treasury relations.
- Act as the interface with auditors, as well as state and federal government agencies as it relates to the financial matters of the company, and oversee the publication and communication of all financial reporting to the Board of Directors, investors and shareholders, bankers, and the government as necessary.
What we’re looking for:
- Successful track record raising VC finance and/or structured finance, strong strategic planning experience.
- High levels of comfort managing accounting processes with enough facility to be competent across accounting standards in multiple countries
- Experience working in less developed economies and flexibility to navigate different business environments and cultures while still achieving results
- Ability to analyze financial data and prepare financial reports, statements, and projections.
- Ability to adapt quickly in hyper growth market opportunity
- The ability to be open, honest and constructive, asking the tough questions about strategy and tactics in order to make the company and team stronger
- Good judgment and the ability to make effective independent decisions without direction from the rest of the senior team when required
- Self-starter: Good judgement, ability to act independently, consistently looking for opportunities to grow and strengthen the company or expand our impact.
- The ability to present to investors and team members in a relaxed and professional manner
- A desire and patience to serve as a mentor and coach to junior team members
- Four year degree majoring in accounting, finance, economics or business from a top tier university required along with more than 5 years experience in a senior level finance position in a start up. CPA or MBA from top tier program preferred
What you can expect
- Being a crtiical part of a team that directly impacts the future of 10,000’s of people’s lives by providing electricity and the future of planet by providing electricity sustainably.
- A team of awesome smart passionate people in the US and West Africa that are mission-driven, fun, and support each other.
- A competitive compensation and equity package for an early stage, mission driven company
- The chance to have your voice heard and help shape Energicity’s future
- Travel!!! (The role is based out of the US Corporation; however at any given time our leadership team is on the East Coast or West Coast of the US, Europe, West Africa and East Africa with the flexibility to “make it work”. Without question, there will be significant coordination with our West Africa teams in person and on the phone.
If you are a qualified applicant, please send your CV and cover letter to Nicole before 30 April 2017.