VP of Project Delivery, Energicity
Energicity is looking for a VP of Project Delivery to take on the challenge of scaling our project construction and delivery to help bring our electricity services to over 100,000 customers across multiple countries with Africa over the next 5 years. The VP of Project Delivery role will lead a team that deliverys high quality solar minigrids that ensures that our customers have light within their homes and electricity services that help their communities thrive.
Energicity is leading developer of solar and hybrid microgrid utilities in Africa, delivering affordable, reliable, scalable electricity to rural off grid communities, who have never had electricity before. Through leveraging strategic use of local content and right sized engineering, Energicity, and its subsidiaries Power Leone and Weziza Benin have best in class status among the energy access industry.
Based on our core capabilities, Energicity is currently deploying minigrid utilities in concessions in Sierra Leone and Benin to serve 100,000 people. Further, the company is developing new pipeline to develop minigrids to serve another 100,000 people in West Africa in 2022 and 2023. Beyond just providing light, Energicity’s electrification services enable rural off grid communities
- better health care outcomes with modern health care equipment, vaccines and light for nighttime procedures
- dramatic improvements in test scores for children in school, and
- significant increases wealth and opportunity for rural entrepreneurs and smallholder farmers.
If you are looking for a challenge to join one of the leading solar minigrid companies and help us scale by:
- Building construction teams that are driven to deliver high quality projects safely with a mindset of continuous improvement across multiple countries
- Leading engineering teams to build on our agile design methodology that works hand in glove with construction and the maintenance organization to ensure high quality projects that deliver the lowest cost of energy within the industry.
- Work closely with accounting & procurement to manage budgets and help guide cost effective management of project investment to ensure we can scale the business cost effectively.
If you are up for the challenge of scaling our Project Delivery team while providing electricity to thousands of customers , then please send your CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by December 15, 2021.
The role’s responsibilities include:
- Building the leading construction team in solar minigrids
- Hire and manage training of construction managers that can operate indepently and develop teams across Energicity’s footprint.
- Build an organization that maintains a culture of safety from the topline managers all the way through interns and subcontractors
- Build and improve construction process to build an organization that can build projects repeatably while incorporating changes and improvements rapidly throughout the organization
- Creating teams that can generate, track, and report on budgets for reporting and ensuring projects are built sustainably.
- Manage teams to ensure a high commitment to Energicity’s environmental and social values and ensure commitment to following all local and environmental commitments through implementation of our Environmental and Social Management Plans.
- Manage project planning and logistics to ensure on time delivery of projects
- Assist teams in developing, adjusting, and updating project plans to ensure on-time delivery of projects.
- Work with community operations to update on timing for communication with customers and other stakeholders
- Track and ensure all necessary permits, including, environmental and building permits, are complete for construction start
- Ensure all necessary reporting for construction and maintenance are completed by each team
- Work with accounting and procurement for budget management and procurement
- Ensure teams manage delivery of materials are on time and delivered to project cost effectively.
- Manage project engineering to effectively ensure agile design processes works hand in glove with construction teams
- Work with engineering to ensure high quality design of projects that provide the lowest cost of energy over the lifetime of the project
- Ensure project engineering teams ontime delivery of plansets, BOMS, and project estimates.
- Work with engineering to incorporate learnings from construction and new developments in technology to update designs and installation procedures.
- Manage engineering for manufacturing of PV rack and other components built in country
- Manage the technical RFPs with suppliers for major components
- Support accounting and procurement teams in development of inventory and inventory tracking.
Skills and Experiences
- Degree in Electrical Engineering, Mechanical or other related Engineering degree required.
- 5+ years of experience with either solar energy construction and maintenance, or power generation construction and maintenance.
- Experience with project planning preferred, including any project management certification either traditional PMP management or agile management.
- Must have experience in cost estimation and budgeting for construction
- Experience in scaling an organization preferred
- Experience managing either construction teams or maintenance organizations required
- Fluency in both English and French language preferred
- Fluency in English required.
The core values of our company are:
Honor – just as we honor each other, we honor the communities in which we work. We respect our clients, we respect our stake holders. We recognize that we are working across multiple cultures and that we try to understand each other’s perspective – knowing that it is our differences that make us the best. We may not always agree with each other, our customers, our stake holders, but at the core of every interaction must be respect.
Teamwork – we value our team and we value each other. We have each other’s back. We communicate when something is working well and on track, we over communicate when something is not working well or on track. We trust each other and trust that we are all working for the good of the company – and if something isn’t working the way we think it should, the course of action is to communicate, to be solution oriented, and to have each other’s back.
Learning – we strive to always be learning as an organization and as individuals. We are solution oriented in all things. If there’s a problem, we’re always looking at ways to fix it. If there’s not a problem, we’re always looking for ways to innovate to be the best we can be. We set up experiments and tests to try to do things better, we learn when things work, we learn when things don’t. We aren’t afraid to fail, we ARE afraid not to learn.
Excellence – Everything we do must be of the highest quality from building and maintaining solar systems, to our software systems, to our documentation. We double and triple check our own work and each other’s work. We take responsibility for making things great; we also take responsibility and fix things immediately with anyone who is impacted if anything is less than great.