Energicity is Africa’s leading solar and hybrid mini-grid developers, builders, and operators, providing low cost, reliable and modular electricity to off-grid communities that have never had electricity before.
With its ability to strategically use local know-how and its ability to develop tailor made systems, Energicity is now operating in 3 countries and is recognized as a leader in the energy access industry.
Energicity is looking for a Financial Controller to help us support the growth of our market development, operations, engineering, construction, and support teams to bring electrification services to more than 100,000 customers in several African countries over the next 5 years. Our goal is to deliver high quality solar mini-grids that ensure our customers have light in their homes and electricity services that help their communities thrive through;
- Better health services through access to more modern healthcare equipment, vaccines, and light for night activities,
- Notable improvements in primary and secondary education,
- New opportunities for rural entrepreneurs and smallholder farmers.
If you are looking for a challenge and are motivated to join one of Africa’s leading solar mini-grids and help us rapidly scale the organization across multiple countries, then please complete and submit this Application form by October 31st, 2023.
The company’s core values are:
- Customer Obsession
- Teamwork- we value our team, and we value each other. We support each other. We communicate when something is working well, we communicate when something is not working well. We trust each other and are convinced that we are working for the good of the company. If something doesn’t work the way we think it does, the action is to communicate, to be guided, to be helped.
- Learning & Innovation- we strive to always learn as an organization and as individuals. We are constantly looking for solutions. If there is a problem, we are always looking for ways to solve it. If there’s no problem, we are always looking for ways to innovate to improve. We are constantly experimenting to do things better, we learn when things work, we learn when things don’t work. We are not afraid to fail, we are afraid not to learn.
What does the role involve?
You will design and secure successful implementation of an effective and growth oriented financial controls framework and infrastructure across the organization, in order to enable Energicity build the technology, infrastructure and financial capabilities to deliver accessible energy services to 1 billion Africans. You will take controls of all financial accounts across the group- weekly, monthly, quarterly, and annually, and oversee payables, receivables. You will therefore oversee accounting oversight and internal controls across the organization.
As the fast-growing organization expanding very rapidly across West Africa, Energicity needs to implement effective financial controls that support it’s drive for long-term sustainable and profitable growth.
This is a full time, permanent and long-term position reporting to the CFO and with permanent access to Energicity’s senior management team and board of directors.
- Manage all accounting operations including Billing, A/R, A/P, GL and counsel, Cost Accounting, Inventory Accounting and Revenue Recognition.
- Support the CFO and other finance functions in the preparation of the budget and financial forecasts and report variances.
- Prepare and publish timely financial statements.
- Coordinate the preparation of regulatory reporting.
- Develop and implement effective month-end and year-end close processes.
- Guide the implementation of financial policies, processes, and procedures to ensure compliance with GAAP/ IFRS/ OHADA requirements across all locations.
- Develop, review and improve Energicity’s accounting policies.
- Ensure development and implementation of functional and effective systems and procedures for expenditure management and control.
- Ensure quality control over financial transactions and financial reporting.
- Manage and comply with all government reporting requirements and tax filings.
- Develop and document business processes and accounting policies to maintain and strengthen internal controls.
- Ensure proper expenditure management and tracking, also ensure that functional and effective systems and procedures for expenditure management and budget control are in place.
- Assume responsibility for payment and cash management activities and procedures.
- Maintain and manage relationships with banks.
- Support the shareholder return strategy by developing and implementing Information Systems Procedures that are aligned to achieving all elements on the business score card. (e.g., Gross Margins, EBITDA margins, Assume Revenue, CAPEX Returns Management, Net Customer Additions, etc.)
- Participate in the review of Business Processes (headcount, process optimization, etc.), to drive efficiency gains.
- Strategic Partnerships with Energicity’s leadership team to drive awareness on expected behaviours and impact on non-compliance on bottom line results and company image/ reputation.
- Network and build solid relationships with internal units and relevant third parties (e.g., investors, technical and finance partners, business consultants etc.) and develop a close working relationship with relevant information sources to provide an integrated service.
- Continuously seek self- professional development to sharpen skills and capabilities in a versatile and evolving climate-tech landscape.
- Provide financial support to the department and advice on any finance related issues.
- Develop, implement and maintain financial Processes, Policies and Procedures for department.
- Develop and maintain a system to track all inventory and assets owned by the organization.
- Prepare/ compile agreed periodic activity and performance reports for the attention of management.
- Coach and train the team to ensure understanding of the objectives and goals of the department, awareness of set targets/ requirements and regularly review their training needs.
- Review performance of individual team members and complete appraisals in accordance with the employee performance appraisal procedures and time schedules.
- Additional controller duties as necessary.
Requirements, Experience and Training
- Must be located in any of Energicity’s countries of Operations (Sierra Leone, Liberia, Benin)
- Ability to travel regularly to other operating locations.
- English fluency required, French fluency a plus.
- First degree in Accounting or related field
- Professional Certification in Accounting
- 8-10 years’ experience which includes;
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in an area or specialization; with experience in supervising/ managing others.
- Experience working in a fast-growing organization.
- Financial accounting experience
- Hands-on experience in a finance function preferably in a multinational organization.