Energicity Corp is a high growth social impact company, providing the most essential of services – electricity to people who do not have it.
We are one of the leading developers of solar micro grid utilities in Africa, delivering reliable, scalable, and cost-effective electricity to rural off grid families and businesses. Beyond just providing light, Energicity’s electrification services enable rural off grid communities:
- Better health care outcomes with modern health care equipment, vaccines and light for nighttime procedures.
- Significantly increases wealth and opportunity for rural entrepreneurs and smallholder farmers.
- Dramatic improvements in test scores for children in school, and
- Soon e-mobility solutions as well.
Our services lay at the intersection of being a critical solution for climate change and addressing extreme poverty in rural communities in Africa.
Energicity Corp is hiring an Environment, Social, and Safety (ESS) Manager to oversee our ESS initiatives, monitoring, and reporting. The ESS Lead will be responsible for coordinating across teams to ensure that Energicity is providing services that promote high environmental and social well-being and maintaining the safety of employees and customers. The ideal candidate has immense passion for and applied experience in the ESS field.
The candidate would be joining an Energicity team that is high-powered – with highly motivated leaders who have excelled in their fields, before coming to work for a company that is intellectually challenging, purpose-filled, and fun.
If you are interested in joining our awesome team, then please complete and submit this Application form- ESS Manager, Energicity. by August 10, 2023.
- Serve as an in-house champion for ESS guiding principles, landscapes, regulatory requirements, and best practices, particularly as they pertain to the off-grid energy sector in West Africa.
- With supervisor support, manage initiatives, from design to execution and maintenance, for elevating Energicity’s ESS activities, including implementing health, safety, and environmental plans.
- Work across teams to ensure Energicity sites are compliant with government, investor, and ESS community standards.
- Alongside supervisor, manage the monitoring and impact measurement of ESS initiatives and metrics, including for productive uses of energy.
- Manage ESS reporting and deliverables production, including producing external reporting to partners.
- Draft company ESS policies and procedures, including emergency plans.
- Design and lead ESS trainings and programming for Energicity teams.
- Knowledge in ESS landscape, metrics, international standards, and best practices.
- ESS knowledge pertaining to the off-grid energy sector is a strong plus.
- Knowledge and previous experience with the IFC PS is a strong plus.
- Applied experience in managing ESS programs and reporting.
- Strong program management skills.
- Terrific written and oral communication skills.
- Familiarity with conducting ESS assessments.
- Position based in West Africa – Sierra Leone or Benin initially with opportunity to move to other countries. Some accommodation for remote work possible.
Professional and Academic Background.
- Excellent performance in bachelor’s or master’s Degree program, preferably in environmental sciences, sustainability, human rights, business, public policy, or engineering.
- Significant work experience in in ESS, including a focus in at least one of the following areas:
- Occupational health and safety
- Community health and safety.
- Natural resource management.
- Pollution prevention.
- Land acquisition.
- Biodiversity conservation.
- Cultural heritage protection.
- Human rights and protections, especially for vulnerable groups
- Fluency in French is a strong plus.
- Experience working in the off-grid energy sector is a strong plus.